Work: Days Off

>> Tuesday, December 11, 2007

So I've a few days of PTO saved up and since they don't carry over, I've decided to just take a couple of days off each week.  It's working out fairly well so far, but I think I could be using my time off more efficiently than I am.

I've only gotten a couple of non-work work tasks finished.  The kids do get "in the way" of getting things done but I can't use that as an excuse, I think. I'm sure that if I put my mind to it, I wouldn't wander off track and onto Facebook, for example.  (However, in defense, its really easy to start there while holding the baby since its difficult to use the keyboard, and once started on FB it's hard to stop.)

My parents need something different and better to do for work, too.  Delivering motorhomes is interesting - WAS interesting to begin with, but now they're  finding it wears on them too much.  It's really a job for someone without a family, too, I think.  You're just away from home far too much to lead any sort of regular life.  On top of that, if (God forbid) you should get in an accident - which is statistically more probable once you put yourself on the road in a commercial manner - you're pretty much guaranteed to lose money.  The deductable on these units is set incredibly high, which means your employer is going to be paying out of pocket for most accidents that might happen.  This doesn't sound too bad until you know that you (the driver) have to put down a hefty deposit before driving.  Your employer, then, takes the first part of the deductable from YOUR deposit, naturally, so you're actually the one paying for any "minor" accident.  You wind up losing money even when the accident isn't  your fault, which understandably is very frustrating.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP